
- CLICK
FOR LARGER VIEW
Berlin
Area357.022 km²
(8,6x the Netherlands)
UTC +1
LanguageGerman, Frisian, Danisch, Italian, Turkish
Highest pointZugspitze - 2962 m
In 1848, a flag with horizontal tricolor of black, red and gold was adopted. From 1867-1918 and 1933-1945 the colors were black-white-red. and from 1949 the original colors were adopted again.
The euro was introduced simultaneously in 12 European countries, as well as in Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City on 1 January 2002. This was the largest monetary exchange operation of all time. On the front of the note is a gate or window and a bridge on the back. These are all fictional. De euro replaces the Deutsche Mark, introduced in 1948.
Romantische Strasse
The Romantic Straße is Germany's oldest and one of its best-known vacation roads. The road starts in Würzburg
and ends at Füssen on the Austrian border in the Ostallgäu. Important places along
the route with respect to history include Würzburg, Wertheim, Bad Mergentheim, Weikersheim,
Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Dinkelsbühl, Nördlingen, Harburg, Donauwörth, Augsburg, Friedberg, Landsberg
am Lech and Füssen. The 385 km long route is known since 1950 and served the purpose of putting Germany
as a vacation destination on the map again after the Second World War. After 2009, a few changes were made to the route.
The route ends at the Franciscan monastery St. Stephan in Füssen. Driving in Germany is the best by inner roads. The highways
are often a drama because of the many maintenance works. But on the inner roads they also drive fast, 100 km/h.
When the 30 Years' War (1618 - 1638) broke out, the city's last period of prosperity came to an end. It lay exactly
on the route taken by the armies. The population suffered from billeting, enforced contributions and looting. In
1631 the city was taken by the Swedes and then by an imperial army. After 1631, Franconia became one of the most heavily
affected areas through which French, Bavarian, Swedish, and imperial armies repeatedly passed. By the end of
the war, the population in the countryside around the city had declined by 70%. The development of the city stagnated
completely and from 1770 the population began to decline.
The loss of independence came with the French Revolution and subsequent wars. In 1794, French
troops occupied the left bank of the Rhine including territories of the Elector of Bavaria. The latter demanded compensation. In 1802 the
Reichstag ordered that this be investigated but the ruling Bavarian troops occupied the city on September 2, 1802. On 25
February of the following year it was determined that the city and its surroundings belonged to Bavaria.
The crime museum is Germany's most important museum of legal history with torture instruments and legal texts
relating to the persecution of witches. There is also a Christmas museum. The inner city wall dates from 1172 and the outer from 1360 to 1388.
Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a popular town, lots of tourists but they are mainly found at the main square and the
intersecting streets thereof. It is worthwhile to explore the whole town. A tour of the fortress wall is highly recommended.
Furthermore, you can make beautiful walks around the city. The most photographed tower is located in the south of the city when you walk
downwards from the main square.
Dinkelsbühl
Like Rothenburg, Dinkelsbühl was also a Reich town. First mentioned in 1188 as Tinkelspuhel. In 1803 it was
incorporated into Bavaria who ceded it to the Prussian principality of Ansbach in 1804. In a treaty of 1805 it is given to
France who passes it back to the king of Bavaria.
Nördlingen
Was first mentioned as Nordilinga in 898 as a Carolingian court. In 1215 it received city rights from King Frierich
and became a state city. In the same year the city walls were erected. The current city wall dates from 1327 and has
five towers with passage, eleven other towers and two bastions. The wall is 2.6 km long and one of the best preserved in Germany.
You can walk all the way around.
In 1298, as part of the beef Pogrom, almost all the Jews of the Jewish community were murdered. In late 1348, they were
also held responsible for causing the plague. St. Georg Church was built from 1427 to 1505. At the end of 1506
the city obtained the right to expel Jews from King Maximilian I. Their houses were sold to the citizens.
The history of the witch hunts is well documented. During the tenure of mayor Johannes
Pferinger from 1590 to 1598, 34 women and 1 man were burned at the stake for witchcraft. At that time there were no
trees so that the burning could be seen in the far distance. Two women were acquitted: Rebekah Lemp and Maria Holl.
The burnings took place near the witches' rock on gallows mountain. The first woman to be arrested was Ursula Haider
on November 8, 1589. The socially isolated woman was said to openly fantasize about a love affair with the devil.
During the interrogation she accused 9 other women. Ursula and two other women, Margarethe Getzler and Maria Marb were
the first and were burned on May 15, 1590. The prisoners were forced to name more and more names so more and more
women were arrested. Nördlingen was an important trading place because two important roads ran through it.
By the Thirty Years' War and the shifting of the trade routes the town lost importance
and so the townscape could be preserved for tourism. North of the St. Georg church lies the marketplace with the
Hohe haus from 1304, the guest house 'Zur Sonne' from 1350 was used as a guest house for princes from 1405. Also the
astronauts of the Apollo program spent the night here.
Harburg
The name first appears with Mathilde de Horeburc, wife of Count Kuno von Lechsgünd. In 1250 Harburg obtained
market rights. From 1591 it was a reception center for lepers. The extensive castle dates from the 11th century. Around
1500 Harburg had five wooden entrance towers. These were closed every evening to keep out thieves, robbers and beggars.
There were no city walls because the walls of the houses were strong enough. Around 1861 the wooden tower was
demolished because the maintenance costs became too high.
The stone bridge was built in 1729 and for a long time was the only way to cross the Wörnitz without getting wet feet.
Landsberg am Lech
Landsberg became famous because Hitler was imprisoned there after the failed Bierkellerputsch in 1924. He spent a year there in the
prison that was built in 1910. Hitler wrote Mein Kampf here. Near Landsberg was also a concentration camp, Kaufering.
In June 1944 the first thousand prisoners from Auschwitz arrived here. The purpose was to build three gigantic
underground bunkers for the construction of the first jet fighter, the Messerschmitt 262. After the war, the prison held
numerous Nazi leaders. On the prison grounds, 290 war criminals were put to death.
Around 1135 a settlement called Phetine arose here. In 1158 Duke Heinrich der Lowe had the important "salt road"
which involved building a bridge at Phetine. To guard it, a fortress 'Castrum Landespurch' was built.
Soon more houses were built and in the 13th century it obtained city rights as Landesperch. In 1353 a first
salt shed was built. From the collection of tolls the city walls and towers were built. At the market place is the "Marienbrunnen", a fountain from 1700.
Füssen
Also located on the Lech River, between the Ammergauer and Allgauer Alps. The city is known thanks to the sulfur springs of Bad
Faulenbach and the fairy-tale castle Neuschwanstein. It is a the end point of the Romantic Straße.
Before the Romans arrived there in 15 BC, the area was inhabited by the Celts. The Romans built a castellum on the
present-day Schlossberg as a defense against the Alemanni who nevertheless took the area shortly thereafter. The present town
originated from an 8th century monastery of St. Magnus. At the end of the 12th century it received city rights
The Hohe schloss, the former summer residence of
the prince bishops of Augsburg,was built on a steep rock between the 13th and 16th centuries. Neuschwanstein Castle was built
in the second half of the 19th century by order of
King Ludwig II of Bavaria. Construction began in 1869 and was halted after Ludwig's death in 1886. Six weeks after his
death it was opened to the public. The final parts were completed, in greatly simplified form, in 1892.
Walt Disney visited it before he began building his theme parks. It was the inspiration for the castle
of the Sleeping Beauty. The Marien Bridge was built in 1850 and from here one has a beautiful view of the castle.
The castle was built on the site of two castles, the fortresses of the lords of Schwangau. During the
Second World War it was used as a warehouse for looted art from France. The Germans wanted to blow up
castle so that the art was lost but an SS gruppenfuhrer refused to do it. The gold reserves
of the German bank were stored there but they disappeared a few days before the Allies took over the castle.
Schwäbisch Hall
Was a Reich city of the Holy Roman Empire from 1276 to 1803. The town of Halle is first mentioned in 1307.
During the time of Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa, it was one of the important mints of the German Empire. The coin
Heller was named after the town. The current name was established in 1489 but from 1802, when it belonged to the Duchy of
Württemberg it became Hall again. In 1934, the addition reappeared. Salt was also mined in the
area. In 1936 it became a garrison town of the luftwaffe. Bombers, night fighters and the first
jet fighters were stationed there. This town has a quiet town square with only a few outdoor cafes. It is a delightful destination.
Cochem
There were signs of habitation here since the Celts and the Romans. First mention was in 886 as villa Cuchema. Many names
followed until the 18th century Cochheim and finally Cochem. It received city rights in 1332. In 1689 the French troops
of Louis the 14th burned down first the Winneburg and then the Reichsburg. Based on a document from 1300 it is believed that
the Reichsburg was built around 1100. At first the castle was managed by citizens and then by royal ministers, viscounts.
After being destroyed by Louis the 14th in 1689, the castle was rebuilt between 1869 and 1877.
During World War II, large parts of the old town
and the bridge were destroyed by bombing.
Burg Eltz
The castle was built in a strategic location, not far from the Moselle River. As a result of a family dispute among the residents in 1268, the
the castle was split in two. After a siege by the troops of the Archbishop of Trier in 1336, the defenses were
demolished leaving it as a residential complex only. The castle a building history of five centuries and has one hundred rooms.
Trier
Was built in 16 BC by order of the Roman Emperor Augustus and was originally called Augusta Treverorum.
It was intended to be the capital of the Roman province of Belgica Prima. Trier was temporarily the capital of the entire Western Roman Empire.
The Porta Nigra dates back to the 2nd century.